It started with a compliment...

When do you think about in the morning when you wake up? Usually for me, it is when is the coffee going to be ready, what do I have to do that day, where is Caleb, did I make Sean his lunch yet for the day, etc. etc. Yesterday morning started out pretty uneventfully, my husband got up, made the coffee and I waited for Caleb to get up for the day after waking up at 5:45am but going back to sleep for a bit. After putting Caleb back down in his crib and waiting for him to fall asleep before I tiptoed out of the room, I walked into the kitchen half asleep to where Sean was getting himself ready before he had to leave for practice. He tells me, "want to hear a compliment?" At 6:15am, my mind wasn't quite ready to comprehend a compliment. Initially, I said "no" but then I said "yes" and Sean said, "I knew you wanted to hear it." He went on to pay me the compliment in regards to being a mother and something he admired about me. Shortly after he left for practice, I got a few minutes to myself before I heard Caleb up for the day. The rest of the day was the same, the usual, nothing out of the ordinary until I realized my attitude was better overall and the calmness I had during my day in the midst of toddlerville was undeniable. I thought back to the earlier parts of my day realizing that was a compliment was paid by my husband in the first few minutes of the day. 
I am no marriage expert by any means and have definitely made my fair share of mistakes. Here is a suggestion, pay a compliment to your spouse first thing in the morning. Brush away that morning breathe if you need to but pay them a genuine compliment. I bet if anything it makes their day that much better!

Sean, thank you for setting this example of how to excel as a marriage partner, for leading this family,  and for working so hard for us!

6 comments:

P!nky said...

So sweet :)!

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a good man you have. Compliments, just saying "thank you"... those are the "little" things that make a relationship strong!

Unknown said...

Meg this is everything. And so true on so many levels of life. Staying at home & babysitting I'm learning the start of the day, sets our day. Even just having one positive thought to start the day, for real sets my tone. Thank you for sharing this, I am going to be more like Sean & I am going to be more intentional with compliments at the beginning of our days. ��

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

Aww so sweet! It is the little things that make the biggest impact!

Jen said...

This is so darn sweet! I love it!

Allison said...

Love that. A little compliment can mean so much and definitely change the course of your day!