Tuesday Treat 6.14.2011 edition

This week I had a half opened bag of milk chocolate chips, pecans and during my grocery store over the weekend I purchased two half cups each of sweetened coconut flakes and only used one bag for the dinner I had planned on Monday. So that meant baking cookies that used 12 oz of milk chocolate chips, 1 cup of pecans and 1/2 cup of coconut flakes. how does coconut, chocolate chip, pecans cookies sound to you? Yummy that is how they sounded to me, which is this week's Tuesday Treats.

First gather all your ingredients: 1 stick of room temperature butter, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 12 oz of milk chocolate chips, 1 cup of toasted pecans, 1/2 cup of sweetened coconut flakes. 


Then before you start mixing any of the ingredients together, preheat the oven to 350 degrees because you are going to toast the pecans. Trust me on this step, you will not regret the outcome of toasted pecans in these cookies! Once the oven has warmed up to 350 degree, place 1 cup of pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and put it in the oven. 


Toast the nuts for 5-7 minutes. Remove the pecans and allow to cool before you add them to the batter (but don't worry adding the pecans it the last step) and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees for the cookies.
In the mixer, add both sugars and the stick of butter and cream until fluffy.  

Trying out the sports shot feature on my camera, do you think it works?
Once the butter and sugars are creamed, add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and mix until smooth.



All finished mixing and ready for the dry ingredients
Add 1 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon to the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. If the dough seems a bit wet still to you, add some more flour. 




Mix, mix, and mix the ingredients together and have the coconut flakes and the chocolate chips ready to be added into the cookie dough.




I mixed the coconut flakes and chocolate chips into the cookie dough before adding the toasted pecans. If you want to add all three ingredients together at the same time, you can do that as well.
Here is the last step before baking, adding the pecans. 



Then mix the pecans into the batter and mix, mix, mix and again, here are some action shots!



Here is a photo of the finished product and a cute on of Kip waiting for some of the dough to drop in his direction. And before any of you start calling animal control on me, I did not give Kip any of the dough!



Kip licking his chops, don't worry, I still didn't give him any of the cookie dough
I gave my cookie dough a quick freeze in the freezer, just to firm up the dough a bit, about 20 minutes. Using an ice cream scoop, I dropped the dough onto the baking sheet and baked them for 12-15 minutes, check to make sure they are lightly brown and you will know they are officially baked. Take the cookies off the baking sheet and put them on a plate for everyone to join. I know my bible study tonight will definitely enjoy them!

No comments: