The reason I prefer baking over cooking

This post might be a relief to some of you, a relief to know that we don't eat just sweets in my household. I do try to prepare a healthy balanced meal each night for night. I might not always get it right but I try. Cooking isn't as fun for me as baking is. Baking is my outlet, baking is my love and baking is the way I love to show love to other people. Cooking on the other hand, well, we can't eat sweets all the time right? 

With Sean bringing in the the income for our household, money is a bit tight and one way I try to stretch the budget is buy what is on sale and buy what can provide a few meals. A whole chicken a good way to stretch one meal into a few and I have found a whole chicken for 88 cents a pound.

Isn't there something to a roast chicken? To see the whole bird cooking away in the oven bathed in wonderful spices and vegetables. On Monday night, I made a roast chicken, it was simple, it was easy, it was delicious, flavorful and moist. These are three things you want in your roasted chicken. Seriously, there is nothing like eating a dried roast chicken. 

And what did we have for dinner last night, chicken tacos with the leftover chicken:-) Additionally, I always make a stock with the bones with onions, celery and carrots. 

To make this roast chicken, you need 4 lb chicken, 4 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 5 cloves garlic, crushed.

Combine all of the spices together and rub it all over the mixture. Cover the chicken and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours before you cook.



To cook the chicken, preheat your oven to 500 degrees F. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the crushed garlic. I had some shallots too and I cut those in half and put them in the cavity of the chicken as well. The breast side of the chicken will be down in a roasting pan. Roast the chicken at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. After turn down the oven to 450 degrees and continue roasting for another 15 minutes. Baste the chicken with its drippings. Turn down the oven a final time to 425 degrees and cook the chicken for a final 30 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be between 160-180 degrees. Let the chicken rest for 20 minutes before serving. Then if you are a better carver than me, your chicken will turn out beautiful. Clearly, I need some practice but it looks delicious right?
I know the chicken doesn't look very pretty but it does taste great.



28 comments:

birdie to be said...

I am so much more of a baker than a cooker too! When I make dinner, it's always simple and easy and rarely meat.

Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes} said...

I'm the total opposite! I love cooking but not baking! I like to not use measurements and throw in my own stuff and I feel like if I do that with baking it won't turn out right. That chicken looks amazing though!

<3, Pamela
sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Lacey said...

As much as I like sweets, it's probably a good thing I don't like to bake :)

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Yum I do love a good whole roast chicken!

MakeMeUpMia said...

I'm right there with ya, I love baking, not so much cooking. I especially love eating my baked treats :)

brooke lyn said...

oh my gosh, that chicken looks like perfect. We always buy a big chicken like this too and then use it the rest of the week. such a great way to always have a protein on hand

Nat said...

I love baking so much and I'm not a huge fan of cooking- I'm pretty inspired that you made a whole roast chicken!! I'm way too intimidated!

Allison said...

I'm the opposite - I'm more of a cook versus a baker. Baking is so precise, it scares me! With cooking, I just kind of throw things together.
This looks AWESOME - I don't eat meat, but this seriously looks perfect. I do miss roast chicken - awesome job, love!

yours truly, melissa said...

I'm really neither a baker or a cook! Ha!!! But I try occasionally & roasted chicken is a favorite if mine! :)

Anonymous said...

Tackling a whole chicken is definitely on my cooking bucket list. I feel like my baking never comes out right whereas I can play with my cooking and usually tweak it to be pretty good. That chicken looks gorgeous to me. Now I just need to go for it!

Unknown said...

I love saving money by stretching dinners. This looks so yummy!

BLovedBoston said...

That bird looks good!!! I've never made a whole one on my own - but your steps make me think I can tackle it!! I totally agree that if you can stretch some food over the course of the week - it makes me feel like I accomplished something lol!

Pamela @ alittleglitter.com said...

That looks delicious! I made a whole chicken in the slowcooker yesterday while I was at work. Mmmmm! I didn't think about making chicken tacos with the leftovers. That is a great idea!

Hilliary Meisner said...

That looks absolutely amazing! I need to get over my fear of roasting an entire chicken and just do it!

Shannon Jenkins said...

Yum! That looks amazing!! I'm the same way! I always cook something that we can at least eat for 2 nights! Best way to save money! :)

<3 Shannon
Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

That looks so good!! I'm really impressed girl I'm so guilty of just getting the chicken from Costco but I'm sure this is so much better for you!

Becky M said...

Baking is much more fun than cooking :)

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

Katie Elizabeth said...

I prefer baking over cooking, too but yummm! This chicken looks amazing! I've been wanting to try roasting a chicken but the recipes I've found always seems so intimidating. I think I can handle this one!

ALLIE NYC said...

Oh this looks good! I use to prefer cooking to baking but lately I have been getting in to baking.

Allie of ALLIE NYC
allienyc.com

Dianna Davis said...

I'm totally with you girl. I cook because I have to, bake because I LOVE to. I have to cook healthy meals to make up for all the unhealthy sweets :) Luckily, I have a husband who looks to cook too, so I have someone to share the kitchen with.

Great chicken idea. Thanks!

Dianna
virginiaforlovers.blogspot.com

Jillian said...

im terrible at baking becuase i always want to improvise! and that never works out ;) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

helen said...

yum!!!! how funny because i prefer cooking over baking, but i loveeeee all your recipes!! i want to try this roast chicken too!

Ashley said...

I prefer baking over cooking as well!! I just find that first I hate coming up with what to cook and I'm not a fan of trying new things, so recipe books kind of scare me, so I cook what I know and it's boring!! Where as baking desserts and playing with flavours I know I love is fun!!

Sarah said...

I don't eat chicken, but you made that seem really easy! Although I have issues with eating things in the shape of when they were alive...this cuts pretty close! ;)

JumpingJE said...

I'm terrified of a whole bird. You're my hero!

Ashley @ Life with Kids said...

I'm huge into both cooking and baking! That chix looks so yummy! Just an FYI according to your pictures your chicken is breast side up not down.

atparsons.blogspot.com

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I prefer baking!! And I've yet to cook a whole bird. ;)

Lobster Meets Peach said...

A roasting chicken does make a home smell divine!