Banana Oatmeal Nutella Cookies

*As a runner, what happened yesterday near the finish line at the Boston Marathon was absolutely disgusting, to injure innocent people who were there to cheer on thousands of runners who what reason we don't know yet. However, there is never a good reason to ever invoke pain and hurt on anybody.
I hope yesterday's incident won't detour people from ever participating in future marathons, why because whoever was behind the bombing yesterday ultimately wins when we decide not to do something out of fear. Keep running for those injured and killed yesterday, keep running to recognize those spent hours caring for those hurt by the bomb and keep running to show fear doesn't hold you back.

It is pretty much known that bananas are a great fuel food for runners and with my husband being a long distance runner and cross country and track coach we frequently have bananas in the house but they don't always get eaten before they turn brown. I typically make banana bread or freeze the bananas to turn them into fruit smoothies later. Last week there was one banana turning brown and I wanted something different that my usual. Fortunately, I made a recipe for banana oatmeal nutella cookies. I have never made any cookies before with bananas ever and who can say no to anything that have Nutella in it? Certainly not me. I mean look at that ooey gooey chocolate yumminess.

Looks like I am all out of Nutella

To make these cookies, first gather together your ingredients.
1 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 ripe bananas, mashed, 1 egg, 3/4 cup butter, melted, 1 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup Nutella.

*I made a few modifications to the original recipe. I only had 1 ripe banana and I didn't melt the butter.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In your mixing bowl, cream the butter unless you melt the butter.

After the butter is creamed or if melted just add to the mixing bowl, add in both sugars and cream the ingredients together.

 After creaming the sugar and butter, add the egg and mix.


Then add in the ripe banana to the batter and mix the ingredients together.


Next add in the flour and baking soda.
 Throw in the oatmeal and get the batter a good mix.

 Now remove the bowl from the mixing stand platform, you will mix in the Nutella by hand to create swirls in  the batter rather than completely incorporate the Nutella into the cookie mixture.

Drop the Nutella in the cookie batter spoonful by spoonful then use a spatula to create a swirl effect in the cookie batter. I use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into cookies on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. The edges of the cookies should be a golden brown when done.

Remove from the oven then let the cookies cool slightly on the sheet before putting them on a cooling rack.

Then serve, eat and enjoy!
recipe found here 
Remember my post about 5 things I wanted to try, the first thing being a pure barre class well last night I tried a class with Kasey and I love it! I want to go back already!

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Those cookies look delish!!! We currently have a few bananas that have seen better days so I'm thinking I might have to try this!

Joy said...

Okay... I need to try these. I actually had two ripe bananas, but we ended up eating them. OOPS! I some something simliar to this recipe on pinterest so I pinned it! I can't wait to try it out!!

Unknown said...

My husband & I have never tried Nutella, sometimes I think we are the only ones who haven't!

always, koru kate

TheTinyHeart said...

Yum, I have to make this the next time I have leftover bananas!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Corinne said...

There is a barre class at my gym that I've tried out once and I really loved it! I would definitely keep going except for the fact that it's an extra cost on top of our monthly membership :/
Glad you had fun, though!

awhite said...

The Boston bombing is so sad- still can't quite wrap my head around it.

This recipe sounds so yummy- plus the banana's health benefits, such a win. :)

-Ashley
http://lestylorouge.com

Joanna said...

I can get pretty wasteful with bananas. I try my best to make the standard banana bread/ muffins but I get tired of it. THIS is what I needed!! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Amanda || Eclectic Snapshots said...

I'm not even hungry and I want these right now, yum!

Sarah Alway said...

Looks yummy but as I am not a fan of either Nutella
or bananas I will probably pass on this one! Still thinking about Boston... :-(

{The Perfect Palette} said...

You always seem to be whipping up the best stuff!

Sara McCarty said...

Oh good gracious, these look amazing.

Amy said...

Those look and sound AMAZING!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Nutella and bananas - what a great combo! Boston - :(

Faith said...

Looks amazing. I need something sweet now.

Lauren @ Marked By Grace said...

you had me at nutella ;)

Allison said...

You had me at Nutella...these look amazing! :) And congrats on your first class. I'm interested in trying one too! I need details.

meme-and-he said...

YUM. could you have included better ingredients?!

Michelle said...

I like how you turned the sadness of the marathon into a sweet post about sweets. Thanks, I needed this :)

Laura Darling said...

Yum! I'm not a runner but I might have to try these anyway! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Always Maylee said...

Yum, this looks delish. :)

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

Unknown said...

I love desserts w/bananas in them! These sound so super yummy! I'm going to try this recipe for sure. Thanks Meg.
www.shannonheartsblog.com

Courtney B said...

oooooh my GOSH! These sound amazing! I'll totally be making these asap!
I'm dying to try a barre class! Did you love it?

natasha {schue love} said...

Wow...these look so delicious!! Must try this asap!

Hope you're doing well! Love checking in and seeing what you're up to! xo

Gemma said...

I'm just gonna say: MOUTH WATERING! :-p

xoxoxo