How I Get Myself Pretty...

Care to know how I take care of my skin and what is my make-up routine? Well I'm glad you asked because I am sharing with today. I am taking a week break of the how to master your kitchen series but next week don't worry Ill be sharing some more kitchen essentials. So let's talk skin and make-up.
A few years ago, I felt that I needed to use Pro-active, yes I had the pimples, the white heads, the yuckiness that was lurking under my skin that would make its way to the surface. At a certain point, Pro-active seemed to stop working and it was just making my face as red as the planet Mars is pictured. 
I picked up a bar of Aveeno facial soap, I don't know why I randomly picked it up. I didn't read reviews before heading to my local Target or anything, I just selected it.

 Slowly, I noticed the redness disappear, the pimples and whiteheads were diminishing and then it dawned on me why I was having the break-outs, it was because my skin was so dry. I had read that somewhere too that sometimes break-outs were caused by too dry skin. 
Due to my good luck with the Aveeno facial bar, I picked up their moisturizer as well and my face has never felt so soft and it is not at all dry. 

A tip ladies I have heard about moisturizer, put it on your neck too, it will help reduce the overall appearance of age later on in life. Do it, do it now!
So that is my skincare routine, facial soap bar in the morning and evening, moisturize at night and every few days, exfoliate. 
Now my make-up, don't judge me for not being too fancy, I like a subtle make-up, I like to wear the make-up, not let the make-up wear me. 
So in order of my routine, I started with Maybelline BB cream.
I received a sample recently and immediately was in love, I bought the tube and am on my second tube already. What helps I have noticed is to make sure you always moisturize your face, the BB cream goes on smoother and you don't need to use as much. Remember, hydrate the face!

After the base then I move onto eyeliner, I use Maybelline Define-A-Line eyeliner because it isn't a pencil, more like a crayon so it isn't sharp and pokes my eye. Plus the eyeliner goes on very smooth and I never feel like I am tugging on my eyelid. I alternate between three colors, black, brown and navy.

After the eyeliner, I put on the shadow, or if I am going for a very basic face, no eyeshadow at all.
The middle and right eyeshadows are Maybelline, the left is bareMinerals.

Once my eyeshadow is on, I always curl my eyelashes before putting on mascara. It is true what they say about curling your eyelashes, it helps to wake my eyes up a bit more.
Currently, I am using either Neutrogena mascara or a Benefit, They're Real mascara. If you want wow eyelashes, check out the Benefit mascara.

After my eye make-up is all done, I have to put on blush, always always wear blush. I wear either Nars Orgasm or bareMinerals Fruit Cocktail.

That's my beauty routine! What beauty products do you usually wear? Any must haves you want to share with me?
p.s. Happy 33 years of marriage to my parents today, you are a wonderful example of a loving and committed marriage for Sean and I.
Aren't they cute?

32 comments:

Alissa said...

I am obsessed with Benefit mascara!

Ashley @ Places To Go, Things To Buy said...

Good to know about putting the moisturizer on your neck! I don't always do that but I should!

jackie jade said...

i love aveeno products use and use the face soap. it is so non-drying, i love it. i also really love that benefit mascara!
-- jackiejade.blogspot.com

Lauran {The Real Young Housewife of Southern VA} said...

Youre lucky to have such a simple facial cleansing routine! Ugh I wish it was that easy for me!! :)

Melissa said...

Perfect post for me today! I am breaking out a little more than usual and thought it might be the dryness. I've been on the lookout for a good moisturizer and BB cream! I'll definitely be picking these items up tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Alex Byer said...

Oh man ProActiv is the WORST for your skin. Aveeno is great for moisturizing sensitive skin; I often use the body lotion for my eczema-laden skin. I haven't tried that BB cream yet; I'm a fan of the Jouer tinted moisturizer for the days I need less coverage :)

Casey said...

I'm sort of intrigued by BB cream, but have never used any! Maybe I'll pick this brand up...

Becca said...

I love Aveeno as well! I use their SPF moisturizer daily and have been so happy with it over the years.

beccagarber.com

awhite said...

Love your beauty routine- and SO true about applying moisturizer to the neck! Don't forget the chest and the back of your hands! :)

NARS Orgasm is my all-time favorite blush. So, so pretty.

Happy anniversary to your parents! They're adorable. :)

-Ashley
http://lestylorouge.com

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I use the They're Real mascara too! I really like it! Happy anniversary to your parents!! Great to have strong role models like that! :)

TheTinyHeart said...

I've been using Garnier's BB cream but maybe I'll check out that one when mine runs out. And I wear NARS blush in orgasm too. It's the best blush!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart
Avon Giveaway!

McKenna Lou said...

Aveeno has such great moisturizers. I have never used their soap before though. I might have to try it out. xx. McKenna Lou
www.lynnandlou.com

Heather said...

Happy anniversary to your parents! I'm glad you realized that dry skin was causing your breakouts. I just wrote about that issue for an upcoming All Women Stalk post, since a lot of people don't realize it. I definitely need to remember to start moisturizing my neck, too!

Jess said...

At least 50% of the time, I forget to wear anything at all- even moisturizer! I`m terrible with that kind of thing!

Some Snapshots Blog
Jess

birdie to be said...

I love knowing what other products people use! I need to get some bb cream myself! Heard so much about it!

Sarah Alway said...

Happy anniversary to your parents, and thanks for sharing your beauty routine. I am obsessed with Mabeline Full N' Soft mascara. It's cheap drugstore stuff but every time I try to switch I end up going back... it's the best! I also can't find anything better than Cover Girl's Perfect Point Plus eye pencil. I'm addicted to Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion and I also love their eyeshadows. And I use nothing but Dove soap to wash my face. :-)

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

I had the same thing happen to me too with Proactive! Worked like magic for a few months and then BAM one day stopped working and now thanks to the meds I was on and pregnancy my skin is the worst it has ever been. I feel like I have tried everything but actually never tried Aveeno, may need to change that pronto!

Faith said...

I use Aveeno moisturizing bar too! I love it. It works amazing on my skin. I used proactiv years ago and it was horrible on my skin.

Happy Anniversary to your parents! Such a great picture of the two of them.

Gemma said...

I love the Maybelline BB cream, I use it too!...and you're right, you need to apply a moisturizer before the base, especially in winter.
I've never tried the Benefit mascara, heard it's great but I still have like 2 or 3 different mascaras from Maybelline, so I'll have to wait. ;-p
One of my favorite moisturizers is Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil Free. What I really need is to find a good eye cream that really helps correct dark circles. -_-'

ALLIE NYC said...

You are right about the dry skin and break outs. Also exfoliation plays a role. Great post.

Ali of

www.dressingken.com

meghan silva said...

Clearly I have to try bb cream everyone seems to be loving it .

xo Meg

Kira said...

I use Arbonne FC5 moisturizer and I swear, it is the most amazing product ever in the whole wide world.

Brianna said...

I love mixing more affordable make-up with some more expensive ones (only a few though :) I use Milani's blush in Luminoso- it is a GREAT dupe for the Nars one! And it's only about $8 so I love it even more (:

Richelle Lynn Garn said...

IKEA is fantastic. What great picks you found. I wish they had IKEA here in Albuquerque. I try to get to the one in Salt Lake as much as I can.

PS. I am hosting a giveaway on Lynn + Lou today. We hope you stop by and check it out.

XX, Lynn

trishie said...

I've heard some really good things about Aveeno, so glad their facial products worked well for you.

Happy Anniversary to your parents! They look so happy together.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Aveeno products are just the best...happy anniversary to your parents...so sweet!

Allison said...

First of all, your parents are so adorable! Happy anniversary to them :)
Ugh, my skin is a nightmare - I've been plagued with troubled skin since I was a teenager, which has translated over to adulthood - it's not that it's big blemishes, but just a bunch of little ones that don't seem to go away. This has been pile on the makeup to cover up the imperfections and bumps. I might have to try Aveeno to see if it works as well for me! Thanks for sharing your beauty tips! I use a lot of MAC and Bobbi Brown makeup and have recently been using some of the Laura Mercier mineral products, in hopes of better skin!

Lauren said...

Aw...thanks for the heads up! I've started using a Clarisonic with just gentle Purpose soap and I'm loving it!

I got a sample of that Benefit mascara from Sephora and I wish I could afford it all the time...it's amazing!

Janna Renee said...

Happy Anniversary to your parents! They make a beautiful couple and are inspirational with 33 years of marriage <3

Amanda said...

Benefit is my life. I'm such a fan. And I'm totally going to check out that Aveeno mousturizer bar!

Kathrin@shopschoolsleep said...

I love Nars Orgasm!! such a great blush!! I'm scared to try to BB cream because it was HORRIBLE on my sister's skin...caused her to get cystic acne. but I am always looking for moisturizers to try

Kasey Lynne said...

Definitely going to try the Aveeno stuff! I've been using Cetaphil since high school and I'm ready to switch it up. Hopefully my skin doesn't hate me for it ;D