How to Master Your Kitchen

This is a new series I am starting on henning love. I will be sharing with you some of my favorite kitchen items, items that will make you a better chef because the proper tools are important and necessary. I primarily will share tools that are multi-purpose. I don't appreciate tools that serve only one purpose, they just take up space in your kitchen. 
Think of kitchen tools in terms of your job, you have certain things you need to do your job well so you can become a master at your job. You need a proper working computer without dial-up Internet, you need a keyboard, a mouse, etc. Without these important tools to help you master your job, you wouldn't be able to do your job very well. Same goes with kitchen tools, these kitchen items that I will be sharing in the next few weeks will help you to produce better meals or desserts. 

The first kitchen tool I am sharing today is a zester. That was one of the necessary items on my wedding registry I knew I had to have and I kid you not I use my zester ALL the time. A zester  is basically a smaller grater, you know that boz with four sides and four different types of holes, usually to grate cheese. A zester is not only for zesting citrus fruits, or getting the rind off of the citrus fruit that adds real depth and flavor. A zester can also be use to grate ginger, to grate fresh nutmeg. You know nutmeg is found as a small ball that is ground up, well you can grate a nutmeg to get the freshest of spices. You can zest a chocolate bar if you are a sprinkling of chocolate on top of any dessert. You can also zest a block of parmesan cheese on top of your spaghetti or any pasta dish. 

In the image above are the different type of zesters you might find in kitchen or home product stores. The zester I have is the upper left on with the black handle. It has a good grip feature, doesn't slip out of my hand and the length of the zester allows me not to scrap my fingers and get a lot of zesting out of the food item I am using. 

If you have any questions on using a zester, please don't hesitate to ask. By the way, I am definitely not a professionally-trained chef, the kitchen products I am sharing in this series are my personal favorites that I want to share with you all.

34 comments:

Leah said...

i like the idea for this series. i could use some pointers on what tools to use for different things. like how do people make those pretty cucumber ribbons. i've tried to make them with my normal peeler, but obviously they didn't come out the way i envisioned.

The Unlikely Runner said...

Great idea! I am always wondering what different things are that people cook with. I don't really like to cook but that's mostly because recipes intimidate me and I'm not sure of the ingredients or how to do certain things or what tools to use so this is perfect! I'm adding a zester to my wedding registry right now!

Simply LKJ said...

Love the idea as we are in the kitchen a lot too. Okay, I may have to replace my current zester with the one like yours. We currently have one similar to the wooden handle/stainless one and I am ALWAYS getting my nuckles or nails!!

Sarah said...

OH I have that same zester, LOVE it too! Although I don't have a need for it all the time, still love that I own it.

TheTinyHeart said...

I don't actually have a zester in my kitchen. I can't say I've ever grated ginger or nutmeg though for a recipe!

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart
January Group Giveaway!

Krista said...

I just got a zester for Christmas! Do you have a recipe that uses one that you would recommend me to try?

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I have that same zester too! I feel like I use it all the time, it adds such a great flavor punch! Looking forward to more posts about your kitchen gadgets!

Kira said...

I have never used a zester in my life! But, I rarely bake so that's probably why.

Unknown said...

This is a great series! I've never used a zester, but it sounds like it would be a really helpful tool to have!

Lisa said...

Fun! I love kitchen tools, and I think I have all of those zesters :) Look forward to more posts like this!

Alexa said...

Ooooh Meg! I need a zester. Love lemon-zesting things. haha!

Unknown said...

I recently just found your blog and I love it!! This series will be uber helpful. I've never owned a zester but you've now got me wanting one. Good job! :)

xo
Rachel
picklesandchapstick.blogspot.com

Care said...

I remember the first time I used a zester (same as yours)... made lemon cheese cake.. Yum!! Thanks for the tips and looking forward to this series!

Stephanie said...

I FINALLY just bought one of these tools last week -- and I think I've used it in most of my dinners since! :) I look forward to your series -- I'm going through a love of cooking love of cooking CORRECTLY phase... I hope it lasts! :)

Kelley Gilster said...

Ooo this is so perfect because I am in need of a Zester in my life!

Heather said...

I have a zester somewhere but haven't used it in a long time. Time to bust it out again, I think!

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

I received a zester for Christmas this year! Love it!

Val said...

This is such a great post for ladies who love to be in the kitchen.

Richelle Lynn Garn said...

Alright, I'm sold. I need to get a zester. I put lime juice in everything, I might as well zest while I'm at it.

Sarah Alway said...

Yay for multipurpose tools! I don't have a zester but this post makes me think I need one!

two birds said...

i use my zester all the time. it's great for things like whole nutmeg, or ginger.

Mellissa "Shia" Rondinelli said...

Love this idea!

Shia

perch shop said...

i need a zester. asap! my grater just doesn't cut it. i think this is the perfect excuse for a trip to williams-sonoma, eh?

Allison said...

What a fun idea. I look forward to seeing all your cooking tools because I know I make some things harder than they need to be. I just discovered the garlic mincer and it has saved my life. Haha.

Unknown said...

I have a zester..but I didn't know you could use it for anything besides lemons and oranges. SO glad you posted this! I will try to put it to use more often :)

Megan said...

Oh I love this, can't wait to see what else you share! We are registering for wedding gifts probably within the next month and I need ideas on what the best items are and what we should definitely get. I'll add zester to my list! :)

Unknown said...

Love this so much! Thanks for stopping by!! Now following you! and now wanting to get a zester :)

xo

mariahlauren.blogspot.com

kyna... said...

Okay, how crazy is this?? I do not own a zester, and never have??? I have always wanted one, but I just always forget to pick one up! And I totally avoid any recipes that call for zest!! Ugh! :-)
Thanks for sharing!
♥ Kyna

carissa said...

i have one and love it so! it's amazing how zest can add such flavor!!

Rachael {all things beautiful} said...

Ah I just got a zester not too long ago and love it! Looking forward to the new series.

Alisha said...

Oooh I love this series! Keep em coming. :)

Come to think of it, I don't even have a zester. I've always just used a really fine cheese grater. Is that bad?
I love using lemon, lime and even orange zest in my salads. Surprising it gives the salad a little bit of a kick. Love it.

The Lady Okie said...

i have been thinking i need to buy a zester for months! i keep just using a cheese grater. haha. it is not the same.

Kelly said...

OH, and I do not have a zester but after this post I really should get one!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Deidre said...

I love my zester and I think it is essential to ANY kitchen.