Hometown Post - Rwanda

Happy day after Labor Day all. I hope you had a great 3 day weekend. I have to admit I am feeling a bit sad that Labor Day signals the official end to summer 2012. However, a super cute wedding on Saturday that included a sushi food truck at the reception and a yummy dessert table filled with chocolate-covered cheesecake on a stick helped me get over the end of summer blues. Wedding post re-cap tomorrow :-)

Back when Tiff featured me on her blog, I mentioned my hometown series post and Elise contacted me about it. She is currently living in Rwanda, so grab your passport or apply for one now through the State Department. Enjoy reading about Rwanda through Elise's eyes included in the series, From My Hometown to Yours.




Hey there! My name is Elise and I blog over and Forever Changed. I’m a pretty ordinary girl, I have an amazing family, a best friend, a sweet dog, I run for fun (and yes, I rhymed on purpose), chocolate chip cookies are my weakness, I love Christmas, and I have a bucket list that I take pretty seriously. Despite all this ordinariness I have an extraordinary purpose, perfectly designed by God, that has led me to move to Rwanda to work in an orphanage with over 500 children that has forever changed my life.  Blogging is my way of documenting this crazy journey that is my life and I would like to invite you to land of a thousand hills, also known as Rwanda, also known as

my home. Before your trip you will need to prepare yourself for a lot of bus travel, breathtaking sights, and for your heart to break when you have to leave, because this place is just that powerful...

Our itinerary: 
Go to the Genocide Museum in Kigali and get a whole new perspective 

Have an adventure on a canopy walk in Nyungwe forest

Get our animal fix by going on a gorilla tour

Visit Noel Orphanage in Nyduo where I volunteer and love on some kids

Watch the kids football match

Ride jet skis on Lake Kivu 

Eat at the three decent American like restaurants and the one decent Rwandan restaurant 

Ride motos to town where we will eat the most delicious bananas and buy some souvenirs for family and friends  

Have a tearful goodbye at the airport 

I can't promise that you will get to see everything, I can't promise that the weather will cooperate, I can't promise that the food will be amazing but I can promise that you will fall in love with the people and country of Rwanda and you will leave changed for the better. 




Thank you so much Elise for this wonderful post. I seriously do wish I could fly over right now and visit you, I could hope on a plane, my passport is current.  It is awesome God placed the people of Rwanda on your heart and you are living out His will for you. 

If anyone else is interested in writing about your hometown to be included in this series, please contact me at megmouch(at)gmail(dot)com

13 comments:

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

Wow! Seems like an amazing experience and place to live!

Mandee said...

This is so cool. I love reading and learning about other cultures!

Suzzie Vehrs said...

What an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing it with us!

For All Things Lovely said...

Super cute blog! Newest follower! xx.
Meg

www.forallthingslovelymr.blogspot.com

Brooklyn said...

such awesome adventures. ps - sushi food truck at the reception?!?! genius!

My Name is JACY said...

Hi MEG! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! My hair is a work in progress :) I hope you'll add yourself as a follower and stick around... I love meeting new friends!

So!

I love what you've got going on here :)

As for Elsie, this is awesome. I read the book Left to Tell about the genocide and man... I was SICK... like, literally sick for days. I could not put it down, I could not stop crying, and then I researched all about it, and then I hugged my boy and thanked God for my safety and freedoms. I cannot begin to even imagine what that must have been like. Horrifying to say the least. Have you read Immaculee's book?? If not, DO... it is such a beautifully written piece... she is so incredible... her abilities to cope and forgive are truly miraculous and inspiring.

Loved the photos... love this whole series... I would love an opportunity to travel to Rwanda one day... maybe someday... *sigh*

Thank you both for this!

Jacy

~your newest follower :)

My Name is JACY said...

Rats! I meant Elise... not Elsie :)

Unknown said...

What incredible photos!

xo, Courtney
girlavantgarde.com

Head to Toe Chic said...

This looks like an amazing place!! I love all of the pictures.

xo,
Angela
headtotoechic.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great photos :) Neat to see someone living here!! Praying for you, Elise!

Kristina
Nook & Sea

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

Wow, what an experience Elise is having!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Anonymous said...

What an incredible life! That last picture up there is precious!!! I have never been to Africa, but it's on the travel list!!

Have you ever read Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis? She's a young girl living and working in Uganda and has adopted 13 little girls! She has a pretty incredible story too!!

Alain Blessing said...

where did you the jet skis? Can you find them at Lake Kivu? how much was it to rent?