Stronger


This type of post is a first for my blog, a book review.
On my vacation, I brought a book that my mom gave me and had been sitting on my bookshelf for a little bit. The book I am referring to is Stronger Trading Brokenneness for Unbelieveable Strength by Jim Daly, the president of the organization, Focus on the Family.



This book was such an awesome read and very eye-opening that I had to share it with you all.
Let's admit it, life isn't always easy. There are ups and downs, high and lows. Sometimes those lows may be so low, you don't ever know how you will recover.  When you are in that low period, you just wan someone to scoop you up into their arms, tell you it will be ok and maybe take away some of that pain. That is this book, although it won't take away your pain, but it will show you someone who will scoop you up into their arms although not physically and let you know how much you are dearly loved.

Stronger is a book that I think is meant to challenge you. It is meant to make you think of how will you react when the low periods come your way.  Will you be beaten, bitter or broken?
Throughout the book, personal stories of the author or other individuals are mentioned with the details of their low periods and how they reacted. Did they let the circumstances define God or did they allow God to define the circumstances?

I am a person who likes to be in control, I know to know in what direction my life is going, however, I am never truly in control. I am thankful that I have a heavenly Father watching over everything little thing that happens.
This book left me wondering if something really bad happened to me, how will I react? Will I react in the way that I hope I will, leaning further and further on God to help me get through the situation?

Additionally, Stronger discusses past hurts, done against us or done towards someone that maybe you can't forgive yourself for. Stronger discusses who by leaning on God, you can overcome those hurts. You may never forget what happened but you can forgive with God's help.

Stronger made me think, it made me think about past hurts, it made me think about how weak am I really  if I faced tough and painful situations like loss of a family member or someone being diagnosed with cancer. Additionally this book highlights how in my weaknesses God's greatness shines through.
This book was timely as well because last week I received an email saying I didn't get a job I was really hoping I would get. However, I know God has a plan and His plan didn't include that job so I continue trusting Him to provide that plan, to look towards Him for everything and anything.

7 comments:

CALLIE said...

O my!! I must read this book.

Faith said...

Wow, this book certainly sounds like a book I need to read! what an amazing review!

Faith said...

p.s. and you are right about the job. although it always sucks not to get a job that we really want, it is a great reminder that God has something even better out there for you. i know He does!

Hilary said...

Thanks for the recommendation! So sorry you didn't get the job but the right one will come along and you will be happy you didn't :) ...When I finish Fifty, I'll pick this up - I know, they're pretty comparable...not.

Lisamarie said...

Thanks for sharing the book. I am looking for a new book to read this summer!!

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

Great review - I am putting this on my reading list!!! Thanks girl! :)

Sam said...

currently buying this on the kindle. thanks for the suggestion!!