Daffodil Love


I know this post is a little bit late since Easter was over a week ago so please forgive me for posting these photos now. Each year for Easter, I buy a minimum of 30 daffodils, which is easy when you purchase them in bundles of 10 and the price is 3 bundles for $5.00. I love daffodils for Easter, they are so beautiful when they open up and they can stay that way for several days.
I just had to take a few photos of the daffodils, they were a pretty good model for my shoot. They didn't need any touch-ups, no make-up and wardrobe was minimal. 






I decided to play around with the few features I have on my iPhoto.




Just a few fun facts about daffodils.
  • Daffodils symbolize friendship with over 50 species and are the first buds to bloom in the spring. 
  • The garden Daffodil's ancestors come from the states around the Mediterranean Sea, such as Spain and Portugal and the Middle East, such as Turkey. The earliest record mentioned about Daffodils was around two or three hundred years B.C.
  • Grown extensively by the ancient Greeks and the Romans, Daffodils nevertheless became a forgotten flower until about 1600 and even in 1860, there were fewer than 350 cultivated hybrids.
  • Around 1629, a group of Englishmen took the Daffodil out of the weeds and put it into the garden. Daffodils were in favor again.
  • During the days of the American experience and the expansion west, Daffodils were well established as a "must have" in the garden.
  • Daffodils were brought to Britain by the Romans who thought that the sap from Daffodils had healing powers. Actually the sap contains crystals that can irritate the skin. via
  • In Australia, they have an annual Daffodil Day to help raise awareness about cancer.
  • The daffodil is also used as a symbol by Marie Curie Cancer Care in the UK. via

Just had to share some photos about one of my favorite flowers!
p.s. if you want more daffodils, check out my friend Kate's blog, Daffodil's Hope because she is awesome and clearly likes daffodils too!

30 comments:

Meghan @ More from Meg said...

I love this post!! Daffodils are so beautiful!!! :)

Mel (Northern Lights) said...

So pretty! I did the exact same thing for Easter! They were on sale at Trader Joes 5 for $1! I bought 5 bundles and put them in vases all over the house.

Jenny N said...

Pretty! I love them too.

CALLIE said...

MY FAVORITES!! bc they are yellow, of course!

Emily said...

Aww, how pretty. You learn something new every day!

I'll work on a hair tutorial for you! :)

Christina said...

Those are my favorite flowers. So pretty! I wish I could actually grow them in Florida! My parents place in TN has them growing wild all over the place!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

You forgot to mention that they are also the name of your favorite blog ever hehe :) You are right, I do love this post!

Kira said...

We had a bunch of pretty daffodils in our yard, but they were all dead by Easter. Too much rain and even snow fell on the poor things. I at least had enough sense to cut a bundle to enjoy in our house for a little while!

Shannon Marie said...

What fun facts about those beautiful flowers! I would have never known! :) Thanks for sharing! xo

Mandee said...

I love seeing the daffodils popping up in early Spring!

Lauren said...

daffodils are gorgeous! i wish they would bloom all year!

Darby Hawley said...

These are so pretty! I didn't know all of those daffodil facts!

Amanda said...

These, and sunflowers, are the flowers that I call "smiley/happy" flowers because there's no way of looking at them without smiling. :)

Stephanie said...

Daffodils are always a sure sign spring is here to me! I love them!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

They are so pretty!

Corinne said...

The pictures are lovely (i love the whited out one) & these facts are awesome! Definitely know what to pick up for friends next time there is a special occasion :)
xx Corinne
cateyesandthighhighs.blogspot.com

Alexa said...

LOVE the bright yellow hues of daffodils. They never cease to make me smile. ;) Also love Tulips!

Allyson McGuire said...

How pretty! I love daffodils.

Allyson
http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

They're such cheery flowers!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

So pretty! I've never really payed much attention to them, but now that I'm taking a closer look they really are beautiful :)

Samantha said...

what a cool post- thanks for sharing!!!! :D

JanandJill.com said...

How cute, I had no idea about all those daffodil facts either. ~Dale :)

christine donee said...

always love daffodils. always.

Maria Johns said...

meg, your daffodils are gorgeous. I learned so much from all your facts too, had no idea!!! Just planted them in our yard for the first time this year!! so pretty!!

REBrown said...

Very pretty - daffodils are one of my favorite flowers.

Head to Toe Chic said...

Wow, so pretty!!

xo,
Angela
headtotoechic.blogspot.com

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Beautiful photos! And beautiful flowers! I know know more than I ever thought I would about daffodils! Thanks for the fun facts! :)
Hope your Tuesday is wonderful!!!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Daffodils are so pretty!

Carrie said...

I love daffodils. They're such a happy flower!

Mary said...

Have you ever called them daffidown dillies? I read that, was it Secret Garden?